Adults with Disabilities
Strides: A Program for Adults with Intellectual Disabilities
Monday-Friday, 8:30am - 2:30pm
Location: Castro Valley Adult & Career Education Campus
Workplace Skills and Functional Academics
This comprehensive program includes classes in independent living skills, Adult Basic Education (functional academics), community access, social and communication skills, work experience, and work readiness. Our goal is to help each student develop to his or her greatest potential, meet individual goals, and become as independent as possible. Students choose classes aligned with their goals from the following course offerings (may vary):
|Baking in food preparation class||Learning to use iPads||Reading and writing in Functional Academics class|
Request Strides information: https://cvace.link/awd
Life Skills and Functional Academics (ABE)
Community Access Skills (ABE)
Workplace Skills (CTE)
Eligibility: Must be at least 22 years of age, have a primary diagnosis of an intellectual disability, be independent on an adult school campus, and Regional Center of the East Bay client. A committee reviews each application to determine if the program can meet the applicant's needs.
- Submit applicant's contact information: https://cvace.link/awd
- The applicant and a caregiver attend a tour.
- The caregiver and program staff schedule a pre-screening phone call to determine if the applicant meets the entrance criteria and, if so, their name is added to the waitlist.
- When there is an opening, a committee reviews the individual's Application Packet to determine if the program can meet the individual's needs. If so, the individual is offered a trial visit.
- Program acceptance is determined by the successful completion of a trial visit.